About Me

I will be running the charity relay in the LA Marathon on March 17, 2013. The charity I am running for is the non-profit, volunteer-run animal rescue, Kitten Rescue!!! Please donate today to help save the lives of homeless and abandoned animals!!!

Monday, September 26, 2011

Running injuries suck...you know what else sucks? Ringworm.

The back pain in my previous post did not get better.  I ended up going to the doctor last Friday to get it looked at.  He says my lower back hurting is a very common injury that heals by itself.  I just have to take it easy for 7-10 days.  This mean I missed my 3 mile run last Saturday and am going to be missing my training schedule this week as well.  I have a deep tissue massage scheduled for this Wednesday to loosen up my back muscles which seem to cause all sorts of other problems elsewhere in my body.

Aside from my back injury, my cats seemed to develop problems of their own.  On my large fat female, I discovered a flaky spot yesterday and when I tried to clear the flakes, her fur came off as well.  Being the good scientist I am, I looked up how to diagnose ringworm and apparently 50% of the fungal species that cause the condition create this byproduct that fluoresces under black light.  Today, I borrowed a black light from my lab and in a very CSI fashion, investigated this bald spot on my cat in my totally dark bathroom.  She no doubt has ringworm.  Her spot fluoresced a apple green color under the black light.  After driving to two pet stores, I finally got my hands on some ointment for treating ringworm.  I'm using this stuff called Nu-Stock on my fat female.  It has many positive reviews on Amazon except for the smell (I mean, it's sulfur and pine oil so it smells like farting pine sol).  Whatever, as long as the ringworm is gone from my cat.  I guess the bigger question is where she got it from.  Both of my cats are strictly indoors and ringworm is from outdoors.  The best explanation I came up with was that we tracked it into the apartment via our shoes and this fat female in particular loves to hang around and rub on shoes so she must've gotten ringworm from there.  Let's just hope that this ringworm doesn't spread to us humans of the household....or the other cat(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment