About Me

I will be running the charity relay in the LA Marathon on March 17, 2013. The charity I am running for is the non-profit, volunteer-run animal rescue, Kitten Rescue!!! Please donate today to help save the lives of homeless and abandoned animals!!!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Week 2 complete!!!!!!

My grand total of miles this week comes out to a whopping 11.5 miles (1 of which was not intentional--refer to previous post). That's almost half of the marathon distance!! Oh, I am also blister free on my feet!!! Go, go Mizuno's and new socks!!!

The longest run I have had so far was today. Sudeep, my weekend running buddy, and I did 3.5 miles at 6:30am. Our pace (or maybe MY pace since i am sure Sudeep can run faster) is at about a 10 min and 13 sec mile. Comfort level on the 3.5 miles was pretty shitty the first two miles...maybe even first three, but when I heard my Nike+iPod say I was 500 meters away from the finish I sprinted my pudgy ass as fast as I could to the finale. I guess being almost done with suffering really motivates me. I hope this same enthusiasm kicks in during there race next year when I get to the last few miles...or even better yet, when my advisor says I am almost done with my Ph.D.

My biggest complaint this week are my knees and calves. Hopefully I will shed some weight during training and that'll be nicer on my knees. I ordered some knee support straps to wear while running from Amazon to help with the soreness in the meantime. Also, I am just preemptively wearing my knee braces (yes, plural, BRACES) to help recover my knees between runs. I look ridiculous:



Yes, I am probably being over-paranoid, which might or might not be influenced by the fact that my lab mate, Julia, is currently experiencing knee pain that might or might not have originated from running for a long time. It's kind of looking like I should maybe start training for the wheelchair marathon instead of the running one although I'll probably end up with matching braces on my elbows then....but at least all four of my limbs would match...

The plan for my aching knees and calf muscles tonight, aside from waddling around like a duck because of my braces (I also quack when I walk 'cuz I go 'all the way' for everything I do), is to ice down the achy bits, massage with my foam roller, and take a hot bath.....

Let's hope next week is not so miserable...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment