About Me

I will be running the charity relay in the LA Marathon on March 17, 2013. The charity I am running for is the non-profit, volunteer-run animal rescue, Kitten Rescue!!! Please donate today to help save the lives of homeless and abandoned animals!!!

Friday, September 23, 2011

Week 4: Training is a pain in the backside...

This week I've learned of a new pain that can come from running.  Enter lower back pain....

It started after Tuesday's run so I thought I'd go get a massage to get it worked out.  The massage seemed to help since the pain was virtually gone afterwards.  This makes me think this is a muscle issue, which is somewhat comforting compared to the alternative of a slipped or herniated disc (eek!).  However, the 3 miles on Wednesday caused me to hobble back to my apartment once again.  I've decided the stairs to my apartment are EVIL and have a new appreciation for elevators.  Unfortunately, my apartment doesn't have an elevator.  Yesterday was only 2 miles so my back was not as bad, but there was still hobbling after my run back to my apartment.  Thankfully today is a rest day.  I am hoping it goes away on it's own like all the other pain I've had from running.  I've been diligently taking hot baths with epsom salt, which seems to be great of all other aches in my body, but I'm not sure it's helping with the lower back pain.  The pain only really starts when I'm walking and its' only on the right side.  It seems to get worse while carrying weight on my back like a backpack.

I am probably going to make an appointment to see someone at the health center on campus.  Maybe it's time to since this pain does not seem to get better on it's own and it's actually interfering with the rest of my day.  If this pain isn't better by tomorrow, I might have to skip my weekend 3 mile run this week. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment