About Me

I will be running the charity relay in the LA Marathon on March 17, 2013. The charity I am running for is the non-profit, volunteer-run animal rescue, Kitten Rescue!!! Please donate today to help save the lives of homeless and abandoned animals!!!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Week 1 complete!!!

Today marks the day that I completed the first week of marathon training!!! My friend, Sudeep, came running with me this morning on my 3 mile run. We finished just under an 11 minute mile (slow, i know...). Sudeep probably would have gone faster if I hadn't been there. The hills on my run just kill me. I plan on going to the not hilly Creek bike path when I start doing longer weekend runs. I think that will probably be more similar in elevation changes to the actual marathon route.
Towards the end of my run, I noticed that my blisters were back again. :( New shoes and socks didn't help. In fact, the blisters were bigger. After a big waffle breakfast cooked by my awesome fiancé, Sudeep and I headed back over to The Starting Line to exchange my asics gel foundation 9 shoes. The Asics I had just bought had too high of arches. At the store, the saleswoman (I can't remember her name) brought out two shoes that I had tried on the other day, the Brooks Addiction 9 and Mizuno Wave Alchemy 10. They both felt good when I ran on the treadmill. They are both solid stability shoes to correct for my overpronation and had lower arch supports so it was a tough decision...except for the fact that the Brooks shoes looked a little like orthopedic shoes. I love Brooks running shoes (my first pair of running shoes were this brand), but damn, these shoes were ugly. I ended up going with the Mizuno's. They were only a few bucks more and more flexible than the Brooks, which I liked. The Mizuno's also had a cushier feel, but not nearly as cushy as the Asics. In the end I paid only an $8 difference to trade in the Asics. The saleswoman even threw in a pack of wipes that you can rub on your blister prone spots to reduce friction and rubbing!!!
My friend tried on some of those weird looking Vibram Fivefinger shoes and ran on the treadmill in them. They were only $85 at the store, which Were the same price as on Amazon. We both left the store happy with new running swag.

My Mizuno Wave Alchemy 10's (cross your fingers for a blister free run next Tuesday!):




Sudeep's new Vibram Fivefingers:



On a happy endnote, my temporary foster kitten, Grover, and his brother are going to their new (hopefully) forever home today!!! I have been socializing Grover for the past couple of weeks. You can judge from this picture whether or not he's socialized yet:


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment